Travel and visiting new places NEVER has to end. In 2017, after starting this blog (well it started in December 2016 in reality), I decided I would TRY and visit EVERY Province of Poland as well as Polish Antarctica, Kashubia and some Micronations by the end of the year. With two months to go, I’m on target with just two provinces left –
Lubuskie and Podlaskie.
So once that is done, will 2018 be a stagnant year of only travel writing and staying in Warsaw? NO, I need a new challenge and so I checked the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Poland and there are 17 of them. So unless I am wrong, this means I have a staggering 13 of them still to visit, having so far only been to 4 of them – Auschwitz – Birkenau, Krakow Old Town, Warsaw Old Town and Malbork Castle. I visited these four only already:
I backpacked to Malbork Castle in 2016, though have yet to fully cover my visit. I did do a hotel review there and the long 3 hour castle tour.
2. Warsaw Old Town
I’m no stranger to Warsaw Old Town having first backpacked it in 2005, again in 2007 and extensively and concurrently in 2016 and 2017.
3. Krakow Old Town
I have been to Krakow 3 times so far and while it’s never my favourite city, it’s a good hub and grows on each visit.
So here is the magic list of 17. Come join me on my journey and quest to backpack them all! It will be a challenge!! I am just wondering whether to include these in my monthly Poland Polls or not, perhaps make it completely separate so I dictate when I visit these places and you still control me in the polls.
Poland – (those in bold italics I have already visited)
- Historic Centre of Kraków
- Wieliczka and Bochnia Royal Salt Mines
- Auschwitz Birkenau
German Nazi Concentration and Extermination Camp (1940-1945)
- Białowieża Forest *
- Historic Centre of Warsaw
- Old City of Zamość
- Castle of the Teutonic Order in Malbork
- Medieval Town of Toruń
- Kalwaria Zebrzydowska: the Mannerist Architectural and Park Landscape Complex and Pilgrimage Park
- Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica
- Wooden Churches of Southern Małopolska
- Muskauer Park / Park Mużakowski *
- Centennial Hall in Wrocław
- Wooden Tserkvas of the Carpathian Region in Poland and Ukraine *
- Tarnowskie Góry Lead-Silver-Zinc Mine and its Underground Water Management System